Saturday, June 4, 2011

To Everything - Turn, Turn. Turn

Hey everybody, how's it going, good, that's great, now lets get to it. Ok, Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals didn't go so well for the Bruins and in fact that day didn't go well for anyone in Massachusetts, there were tornadoes, lots of wind, lightning (which I thought the Bruins had already taken care of), thunder, rain and that lead to us losing our power during the first intermission, and then having to listen to the 2nd period in the car and watch the 3rd period at a pizza place around the corner that did have power. We were then going to head to our buddies place for OT, but as you know, that didn't happen cause Vancouver scored with 18 seconds left. Terrible, but tonight is another game, and if the Bruins are gonna actually have a chance in this thing, then they are gonna have to win tonight. I would say they have to play better on the power play, but at this point, I think that's a lost cause, so as long as they focus on playing well on the Penalty Kill, they are the best team 5 on 5, so they can do it, it's not as if they got blown out in game 1.

Some crazy weather we had Wednesday, things weren't too bad here in the eastern part of the state, despite losing power, but in the middle and western parts of the state, things got crazy and out of control, if you didn't see the footage of the tornado in springfield, take a look:
Crazy, tons of damage out there, and apparently there was also a ton of damage Munson, and to be quite honest, I've never heard of Munson and I have no idea where it is, but I guess things were pretty bad there. Not to make light of the situation by any means, but when I hear Munson, I think of this:

So, after my last post when I posted the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? song, it got me thinking about the old computer game, so after a little hunting and nerdy computer stuff, I was able to get Where In The USA Is Carmen Sandiego? which I actually preferred over World, and in one day I went form Gumshoe to Inspector, why can't promotions in real life work like that? Anyway, the game is as a blast, just like I remembered it when I was a little kid, and lets be clear here, I have the original version, not some updated version, which I'm sure existed, this is the old school original. Obviously the game was made for kids to learn geography and history and what not, but whatever, brings back some memories. I don''t think that I ever actually captured Carmen Sandiego, so I'm gonna try and actually do that, should be fun.

Alright, so this past week I confirmed my suspicions that I had for a while about if someone hated me or not, turns out they do, which I kinda had figure they did, but then after someone else planted the idea in my head that maybe I was overreacting and maybe they didn't really hate me, I tried to reach out and got rebuffed, oh well, so be it, as John Cena's theme song says "If they hate, let them hate, I drop your whole clan, lay your ass down for the three second tan." However based on the events that let to this certain individual hating me, I feel like I've been doing similar things interacting with others, and I also feel like I've been kinda running my mouth off a little lately and saying some stuff that I probably shouldn't be. Ok, so now you're probably asking yourself, where am I going with this, well, generally speaking I try and be a nice guy, I think most people that know me and that I have met would probably say I'm a good person, and that's great, but maybe with this whole revelation about someone hating me, it's time for a Heel Turn. Let me explain, a Heel Turn is a term generally used in in wrestling if refers to when a good guy turns into a bad guy for the lay person, but it's not exclusive to wrestling, happens all the time in movies and tv shows, sports and it also happens in real life too, granted usually not as blatant, but still. One example in real life that I can think of was when Michael Jackson turned on Paul McCartney, remember Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson were good friends, they did a couple songs together:
also The Girl is Mine, but then after Paul McCartney told Michael Jackson that he should make sure that he retain the rights of his songs cause the Beatles had lost all their songs publishing rights, he also mentioned that it could be a good idea to buy the rights for other songs that were being sold or unowned, such as Paul was trying to do when the Beatles catalog came up for auction, Paul McCartney was all set and ready to get the catalog back, but in stepped Michael Jackson and outbid Paul for the Catalog and then started lending the song out for anything and everything, which lead to this commercial:
Needless to say, Paul McCartney was not a big fan of this and they had a falling out. Of course what was probably the first and most well know heel turn in American History was Benedict Arnold, but this is a tough to really say that this is necessarily a heel turn, yes he turned on the US, but if you were from England then this would probably be considered a Face Turn. Whatever, you see me point.and I have already covered some of the best heel turns in wrestling history earlier in my blog post, Shawn Michaels turning on Marty Jannetty throwing him through the barbershop window. Randy Savage turning on Hogan after the whole Elizabeth thing. But there have been some great and memorable heel turns that I have no discussed, probably the biggest of all time was this one:
Of course alot of people compared this to LeBron James and when he made his decision and joined the Heat, in fact, someone made a video:
Sports is certainly another area where there are a lot of heel turns, but again that's kinda the same as with Benedict Arnold, if you are a Heat fan, that was a face turn, but I think in general that was probably the most universal heel turn in sports. Like when Damon went from the Red Sox to he Yankees, that was kinda a heel turn, but only if you were a Sox fan. Anyway, here are some of the other great heel turns of all time:
Jake the Snake Turns on Ultimate Warrior:
Owen Hart Turning on Bret Hart:
Paul Bearer turns on The Undertaker (the first time):
Paul Orndorff turns on Hogan:
Andre The Giant Turns on Hogan:
Shawn Michaels turns on Hogan:
Yeah, a lot of people have turned on Hogan. So lets move on, this next one was probably the most out of the blue, but probably one of the best of all time. Bob Backlund who had been an all american good boy back in the 70s and 80s and held the WWF title for a long time, decided to make a comeback in the 90s and noone really cared, he was boring and old and didn't bring anything to the table, but then he fought Bret Hart:
Mr. Backlund was born, can't say that I didn't go around school when I was middle school snapping on people and putting them in the Crossface Chickenwing, hey, I was 12, give me a break. How about a more recent heel turn that happened about a month ago:
The Truth Shall Set You Free. Or, a heel turn that happened last night, maybe, see how this one plays out:

This next one was a little before my time, but it was a very memorable heel turn, and if you read Bill Simmons, he has referenced this many times, even as recent as his Macho Man article from a couple weeks ago:
Well, I guess heel turns like this can't really happen in real life, I mean I guess I can't really walk around work and then just hit someone with a chair or a title belt, would be pretty awesome though. So I guess I'm just gonna try and stay a face.

Imagine that people just said everything they were thinking out loud, sure it would probably cause a lot of problems, but things would be more interesting, no? I'm not sure where I am on the scale though, I feel like I'm missed a lot of opportunities for stuff cause I didn't say stuff I was thinking, but then at the same time I know that I have said stuff that I was thinking that I didn't really think trough and cause some problems, I guess I just got to work on figuring out situations better before I open or don't open my mouth.

Ok, so last time we dived in 1993 on the MTV countdown to 30, so 1994 is on the horizon, but before we get into 1994, I want to take a step back, cause while I have focused mainly on the music in the last few posts, there was some other stuff going on MTV at the time. For instance, in the early 90s, MTV would have shows that while they still had music videos in them, would also have little bits and sketches between the video, this concept actually gave 2 different people their big breaks, one we have talk about before on this blog, Pauly Shore, who's shoe Totally Pauly had a nice little run on MTV:
Most people probably remember that Pauly Shore had a show on MTV, but I'm guessing that not as many people remember that Ben Stiller also had a show on MTV, it was similar to Pauly Shore's show, he would show videos and the do little sketches and stuff, I for whatever reason cannot find any clips from this, cause if you search The Ben Stiller Show, all it brings up is clips from his Fox show that was after the MTV show, honestly I do remember his Fox show, but I don't know if I ever saw his MTV show, anyway, this was the closest thing I could find to it:
Now, this next guy also got his start on MTV, but unlike the other 2, his show on MTV was very similar to what he is still doing now, yup, that's right before doing the Daily Show, Jon Stewart has his own talk show on MTV:
This version on the Jon Stewart show, which was a half hour, would later be expanded to an hour and take over for the Arsenio Hall show, but it didn't last very long. Jon Stewart then kinda disappeared for a little bit, just popping up in movies here and there, until Craig Kilborn left the Daily Show for the Late Late Show, and Jon Stewart took his place and the rest as they saw is history.

Another show that came on MTV around this time was a sketch Comedy show called The State, now some of you may not remember The State, but it featured a lot of different people that have gone on to do a lot of different things, so you'd probably recognize a lot of them:
Yeah, it was a pretty awesome show, then they were gonna get a show on CBS, they had one special and then it didn't happen, Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Another guy who had some brief appearances on MTV's Remote Control was given some random commercials on MTV for whatever reason, so here's one of those:
And speaking on MTV commercials they used to run some weird messed up ones, like these, along with some more Denis Leary ones:
Ok, Leary brings up another show that was big on MTV around this time, House of Style with Cindy Crawford, now I'll admit, I watched this show from time to time, but certainly not for the styles, if you know what I'm saying.
Yeah, Cindy Crawford, I can't really saw anything else. Moving on, before people got all into karaoke, or actually singing songs, for some reason Lip Synching was cool, and MTV decided to capitalize on this and had a game show called Lip Service, remember it, you don't ok well, here's a clip:
But then again if you weren't a fan of people pretending to sing, then you always watch The Grind, this show always confused me, what was the point? Eric Nies, who was on the first season of The Real World, and really, when you think about it, he was the original Situation, right? if there was no first season of the Real World and no Eric Nies, there is no Jersey Shore and no Situation. Anyway, they decided to give him a show where people danced arounded, kinda like Soul Train or American Bandstand, but a 90s version:
Also featured in this video, was the MTV Beach House, yeah, back in the 90s when the summertime hit, MTV would film all their stuff from a Beach House, and apparently had a bunch of random people just staying there for some reason, I never quite understood the whole thing, but it was probably a good time. Anyway, there you go, next time we will dive in 1994, and 1994 had a lot of stuff going on, both in music and news in general. Here's a little preview:
Remember that, I'm sure you do, and that's at least 3rd on the list, maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment