Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Men Only Want To Know, What Else Is On TV?

Now, before I get to my reviews of some of the fall shows, can I just say this, as this is The 30+ Old Man Angry Blog, I got to be angry about something, so here it is: I am already sick of the Christmas commercials. It's only November 9th, it's got to stop, it's way to early to be bombarded with all this Christmas stuff, I love Christmas and all, but let's keep it to December, OK?

Ok, as in the last post, there are gonna be some spoilers in this post, so just be warned if you aren't caught up or whatever.

So, one of the biggest questions coming into the fall season was who is gonna be the new manager of The Office, and while I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but pretty sure I said right here on the blog, that it had to be Andy, and I was right and it is. So, how's that working out, well, The Office will never be the same without Michael Scott, it just can't be. James Spader has definitely added another element to keep it interesting and everyone else is pretty much just chugging along as they have been, so it's not like it's terrible. Andy as the manager has been ok, I just don't think he really works as the manager, they spend the last couple seasons establishing that he was kinda a terrible sales person and not a good worker, so then why is he the manager now? Personally, I think they should have just left Creed as the Manager, cause it would have been pretty damn funny, and it wouldn't really get people to focus on whether Andy is living up to Michael or not, but whatever, I think the focus is more on Robert California anyway.

Next up, Boardwalk Empire is back for a second season. I must say, I've been watching this show since if started and I still am not sure if I like it or not. I want to like it, I'm told I should like it, it seems like I like it, but at the end of each episode, I'm just not that impressed. I guess I'm gonna keep watching it, but I don't really have any idea where it is going or why I care. Maybe it's because it's a time period piece and based on real people, so I can just go look up stuff and see what really happened and whatever, but I don't know if that is it. I mean, I like Steve Buscemi, and I think his character of Nucky Thompson is interesting, but there is just way too much other stuff going on, that A. I'm not really interested in and B. hard to keep track of who is who and what they are doing. There was one scene in a recent episode where Shooter McGavin is talking to Jack Malloy, and I'm just thinking, wait, why are these 2 in the show, who are they exactly, I thought that guy was in Dexter, I still have no idea what was going on the that scene, and that seems to happen alot. I like the fact that Omar from the Wire plays a character named Chalky White, and his scene in the jail was pretty spectacular, but it kinda hurts him when he also the same week was on Community as the new teacher, like what? But anyway, lets move on to one of the show that I just mentioned.

Dexter is back and killing people again, first couple of episodes kinda dragged as they were trying to establish this seasons theme, which is religion, specifically Christianity I guess, and the killers who are known as the Doomsday Killer and are being played by Edward James Olmos who believes that he has been speaking to God and along with his assistant played by Colin Hanks, are performing scenes from the bible which lead to the end of the world. Meanwhile Dexter is getting more familiar with religion as he befriends one of his former targets, Brother Sam, who has changed his life around with finding God, but that's all over, cause in the last episode Brother Sam died after being shot, but someone who he thought was his friend, and while Brother Sam had told Dexter that he forgave him, Dexter killed him anyway, and now things have changed, as the visions of his dead Father have been replaced by his dead brother, aka the icetruck killer. Next weeks episode seems like things are gonna get nuts, Dexter is talking to his "brother" and supposedly the Trinity Killer "returns" Meanwhile Debra is the new lieutenant, her and Quinn broke up, whatever, sure, great, fine, it's all about Dexter for me, so all the other stuff I don't really care as much about. Season has been good, looking forward to where it goes.

Sons of Anarchy has been having quite an action packed season, which pretty typical for that show, but unlike the other seasons, I feel that much like with Breaking Bad this past season, shit is gonna hit the fan, based on what has happened, Tara having the letters from Jax's dad implementing Clay and Gemma in his murder. Now while Tara hasn't told Jax about these letters, Gemma, Clay, Piney and Unser all knew about these letters as well. These lead to Clay killing Piney and setting out a hit on Tara, and then beating up Gemma, so while Jax knows none of this yet, when he finds out, something is gonna happen. Meanwhile a US Attorney is in charming trying to use the Sons in order to get to the Irish, he minipulated the new lieutenant who was able to blackmail Juice in order to get info from the Sons, so that story line is gonna get interesting. Of course this is all connected to the Sons selling guns to Machete and the Cartel and are then in turn smuggling drugs to the Mayans for them, which is causing a lot of problems. Of course Jax is only doing this one last thing and is then getting out, pretty much as he always is. Couple problems I've had with this season, I realize that Kurt Sutter made the show and is married to Katey Sagal, and she's fine in her role, no problem there, but when they start using her music in the show, little too much. Also, for whatever reason, even though this didn't really bother me in the past, Charlie Hunnam who plays Jax, he's British and well, his American accent isn't great, and it's kinda getting annoying, but not as annoying as the lead guy in this next show.

Walking Dead, the lead role in this show is also British, and he's trying to not only pull off a American accent, but a southern accent, not good, not good at all. With that said, I like this show, don't love it, really enjoyed the first season, but this second season hasn't been as good. They seem to be way to focus on the kids so far this year, they have spent the whole season looking for a lost girl, and then tending to the little boy that got shot. I want more crazy zombie battles, and violence, that's what this show is about, I realize they are trying to establish these characters and all that so that we will care if they survive, but lets get some more action going. The buzz on this show is that the fans of the comic that this is based on are a little upset about the direction, but it's doing great in the ratings, had the highest rated episode of anything ever on AMC, so that's got to count for something. Gonna be a little annoying, now while they extended the number of episodes this season, last year there was only 6, this year there is gonna be 13, they are only airing the first 7 in a row, then are taking a break and bringing it back in February for the last 6, personally I don't really like that with shows like this, I want them all together, easier for me to remember what is happening and keep track week to week, but other shows do this same type of thing, like this next show:

Burn Notice, it aired mostly over the summer, but just came back after a short break, Now, Burn Notice is a good show, not great, good. It's an entertaining show that keeps you interesting week to week, cause you want to ultimately see what will happen, but also they keep you busy by throwing in something that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the main story. This season Michael was able to get back in with the CIA to help them out, but meanwhile someone set him up and killed his partner, which lead to him having to figure out who, but keeping the CIA at bay. He eventually thinks he has it all figured out and then a monkey wrench is thrown in and now there is a new bad guy, seems to happen every season where someone else comes out of the woodwork that for whatever reason has something against Michael and needs him to work for him, to get him to do something bad, this new guys wants Michael to infiltrate the CIA. Yeah, it's not all the original, but it's got a lot of action and some interesting characters, so I like it.

Moving on, South Park has been ok, not great, I feel like maybe Trey and Matt are a bit burned out with all the other stuff they have been doing with their musical Book Of Mormon, which won a ton of awards. They did finish the cliffhanger that they had setup with the last episode from the spring episodes, which was a nice touch, but it wasn't nearly as good as the first one. Lemmiwinks did finally return, as he had to battle his brother Wikileaks, that was a decent episode. The episode dealing with The Occupy crap was pretty good. Best episode so far in this run has probably been The Last of the Meheecans, which focused mainly on Butters ending up in Mexico. They got 2 more to go, so hopefully they end the season on a high note.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia has had a great season so far, Danny Devito seemingly went all out to just look ridiculous this year. Mac gained 50 pounds for no real reason, they kinda focused on it a bit in the first few episodes, but now that they are deep into the season, just seems like everyone has just accepted it and don't care anymore. There have been a couple dud episodes so far, but for the most part, it's been a really solid season, which the best episode probably being when they go to the Jersey Shore, and we were all introduced to a little something called Rum Ham:

Other shows I'm watching, Simpsons (yeah I still watch, it still has it's moments), Family Guy, Cleveland Show, American Dad, Community, Park and Rec and Psych, they have all pretty much retained Status Quo, they are comedies, so it's pretty much what it is, some of it is funny, some isn't, but speaking of comedies:

Beavis and Butt-Head are back, now while we are only 2 weeks into the reboot, I've got to say that so far I'm a little disappointed. Let me explain, when Beavis and Butt-Head was originally on back in the 90's I was a young wippersnapper, MTV was where it was at, they would show awesome music videos from Artists that I was into and familiar with, Beavis and Butt-Head would they watch those videos and make fun of them, I got the jokes, I loved it. So here's the problem, music videos aren't what they used to be, I don't know a lot of the new music out there anymore, which leads to a couple issues, instead of watching videos all the time, they are watching shows like Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, etc. Well, I don't watch that crap, so I don't get it, and the videos they do watch are videos I've never seen before some by artists I'm not really familiar with, so it's weird. With that said, the actual episodes have been pretty funny so far, so I'm still enjoying it. The one other thing that I don't know that I totally like, is that back in the day, the animation wasn't great, but that went along with the times, there have been a lot of advances in animation, but for whatever reason, maybe to be nostalgic or whatever, but they could have at least cleaned it up a bit, they are using some of the same animation they used to use over and over again back in the day, they also could have made it widesceen and HD. I'm not asking for Pixar quality here, but come on I got a nice HDTV, so let me use it.

On a random note, there is an old saying that goes "He who hesitates is lost" I'm not really sure where this saying originated or whatever, but let me just say this: If that's true, then consider me stuck in the middle of the Lost Woods in Zelda with no damn clue at remembering the pattern. What does this mean, where I am I going with this, not totally sure yet, but I thinking it might be time to make some decisions and makes some moves. So, you have all been warned.

Guess that is all for today. Gonna pretty busy coming up the next week and a half, so not sure when I'll be getting back on the blog, but with all the stuff I got coming up, gonna have to blog about it, so eventually I'll get back here. Also didn't really dive into some of the new shows that I've watching, or the Movies that I've seen, so at some point I'll get into that.

In closing, as I was finishing up my post from yesterday, I learned of the new that Heavy D had died, so with that, here's a little something to remember him by, keeping with the TV theme, Heavy D did the theme song to In Living Color:
RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment