Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hey, Remember the 80s?

Back on the scene, for y'all people's delight with another entry in the best blog on earth, well maybe not this earth, but whatever, shut up. Got some interesting stuff for you today, or maybe it isn't I don't know, you be the judge. First off what to welcome the Boston Bruins to the NHL Playoffs this year, a couple games too late, but they're here, and now it time to Make Some Noise, more on this later. But the Bruins are gonna live and die with Chara, as much credit as I'll give Thomas for what he can do, just look what happened, Chara was obviously not right in game 1, they lost, didn't play in game 2, they lost, played well in the first 2 periods in game 3 before getting fatigued I guess, and they played well in those periods and not so much in the 3rd. So, as long as he is healthy and playing well, the Bruins can win any game.

Celtics are up 2-0, can't say that they have really impressed me in those wins, they pulled them out, but they really should have blown the Knicks away in game 2, they let their foots off the pedal at the end of the 3rd and let them right back in the game. With that said, they are veteran, grizzled experienced playoff team and they can get ugly wins. Now they just need to take at east 1 in NY and they'll be good.

Still too early to really say too much about Red Sox, they did finally show some life against Toronto, Daisuke actually pitched well for once, Jed Lowrie is playing out of his mind right now, but they still have yet to win a game on the road and still have a losing record, so talk to me later about them, ok.

Want to go back to a topic that I brought up a couple posts ago, that songs having similar topics and similar names, and it kinda dawned on me that Katy Perry is like the queen of that, not just one song, but 2. I kissed a Girl, not to be confused with the Jill Sobule version and California Gurls, which obviously noone is gonna confused with the Beach Boys version or David Lee Roth for that matter. Even her name, real name anyway is Katy Hudson, like Kate Hudson, yeah, there's another Kate Hudson, ask Owen Wilson.

Ok, now in a similar issue, I was watching  Raw on Monday, and it was from London, England, and at one point they brought out a Queen Elizabeth lookalike to Knight Michael Cole, and she came out to God Save the Queen, the National Anthem for England, or United Kingdom or Britain or Great Britain, or however the hell that works. Here's the thing as an American, I know that music as My Country Tis of Thee. So what's the deal with that, after the United States declared Independence, then kicked England ass in the Revolutionary war, and just for the hell of it again in 1812, did they just decide, hey you know what, lets take their national anthem, change the lyrics and make it just a secondary song about the United States. I would say it's probably 3rd on the list, clearly the Star Spangled Banner and America The Beautiful are 1 and 2, then I don't know Yankee Doodle, My Country Tis of Thee and Stars and Stripes forever are probably in the next tier, what's should be nowhere to be found on that this though is this:
So my question to those of you from the United Kingdom, what's the deal? you just let us take your song like that, I guess you had no choice, what were you gonna do, start another war?

Alright, now, what you have been waiting for, actually you probably haven't been, but just pretend for a second that you have. As you know I have been doing this little countdown to 30 for MTV, last time I reviewed 1989, so it's almost time to move on to 1990, but first we are gonna do a little review on the 1980s, cause really when I think of MTV, it brings back memories of the 80s. I first want to point out that while MTV was mostly just Music Videos back in the 80s it wasn't all, they did have some other things. One of those things was the game show Remote Control which ran from 1987-1990, some of you may remember it, here is the intro:
It was a good show, I remember watching it, it gave Ken Ober and Colin Quinn their first big breaks, Ken Ober unfortunately died not too long ago, but Colin Quinn went on to SNL for a bit, so that was good. It was basically a trivia show about movies, tv, music from what I remember. The thing that most people probably will remember about this show, is that when people got eliminated, they got eliminated in interesting ways, like getting flipped up throw a way or sent through a trap door, or other weird things. The other thing to note, is the show also featured some cameos from then not know personalities such as this guy:
Yup, Adam Sandler, you didn't know that, did you, of course not, noone would have guessed that that guy would on to make billions of dollars in movies. In addition Denis Leary also made a few appearances on the show, I couldn't find any on you tube unfortunately, but I bet if you look hard enough you can find one, there are a few episodes that are up there too, so he might be in one of them, I would say check them out. Also want to point out that there was a guy who worked on this show, he was a writer I believe and also did some bits, but the name of John Ten Eyck, his mother was actually my 5th grade teacher, so there you go.

MTV had a lot of shows, but they were all pretty much centered around showing Videos, the only other regular show that they had that wasn't specifically involving videos was Week In Rock, which started in 1987 and was basically a news show about music stuff that happened during the week.

MTV did have a bunch of specials though, in addition to their Video Music awards, they got involved with some wrestling specials, most notably The Brawl to End it All and The War to Settle the Score. Basically what these were all about was they had to do with this video:
Captain Lou Albano played Cyndi Laupers Dad in this video, and I think maybe in another video, but ultimately they had a falling out, which created a battle between the two, which lead to a women's championship match between champion The Fabulous Moolah managed by Albano vs Wendy Richter with Lauper as her manager, and here's what happened live on MTV from Madison Square Garden on July 23rd, 1984:
So, following this, Albano and Cyndi Lauper mended their fences and became friends again, and that lead to this:
Then later, when Cyndi Lauper was presenting a award to Albano, this happened:
Which all lead to a match between Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan for the WWF Championship, Live on MTV from Madison Square Garden on February 18th, 1985:
This would not be the last time in the 80s that WWF would have programing on MTV, as the First Slammy awards actually aired on MTV on March 1, 1986.

Ok, so now over the last few weeks or whatever I've been showing videos from each year, well I realized there are a lot of great videos from that 80s that for one reason or another I overlooked, so I'm here now to make that up to everyone, and put together a little collection of great 80s videos in a segment I liked to call. "How the Hell Did I Forget About This"

Gonna start thing out with probably the biggest miss, not sure how I left this one out, I guess I just forgot what year it came out, so from 1983, Journey with Separate Ways (Worlds Apart):
I'm not really sure what else to say about this video that hasn't already been said, so I hope you enjoy it. Moving on, I'm gonna keep you in the same area, Steve Perry tried to go out on his own in 1984 and produced this beauty with his video for Oh Sherrie:
I love the fake beginnings and the terrible acting, plus the playing the broom as a guitar is pretty awesome. The 80s was also about Men, Men at Work:
and Men Without Hats:
I really have no idea what's going on in either of these videos, but hey it was the 80s and that what was going on, so it's cool. Moving on, I don't know if any other hairstyle was quite as awesome in the 80s as for the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls:
Although he doesn't have it quite as ridiculous as I remember it in that video, well anyway, speaking of ridiculous, this song and video was always ridiculous:
Tarzan Boy by Baltimora, not sure what the hell this band was thinking here, Tarzan Boy, what the hell was that song all about? Moving on, this song is dedicated to one little lady:
Tom Petty makes a pretty good Mad Hatter, no? The 80s also brought us videos that involved real life relationships, like this classic from Billy Joel:
In the end things didn't really work out for those 2, but that had a nice run. I kinda already alluded to this song earlier, so here it is, it was big in the 80s, people loved them some Roth, until they realized he was crazy, but here's California Girls:
And speaking of girls, there's a girl that's been on my mind, all the time....
But don't worry, it's not an obsession:
Of course I always enjoyed this song cause it was used as the original theme music for Saturday Night's Main Event:
But if we are gonna go back to wrestling, then we can't go any farther without bringing up Cyndi Lauper again, and somehow she combined wrestling with the Goonies, not sure why, but it resulted in this:
Want to point out a few different things here, they got most of the cast of Goonies, good start, Stephen Spielberg? really? he didn't have better things to do? Nikolai Volkoff is milking a fake cow, anyone who knows me well knows that there is a fake cow in my back yard, not saying that is the same cow, but either way, it's pretty cool. This next guy was pretty big in the 80s, can't go any farther without having him involved:
This guy too:

Ok, so I just want to say that so far this spring the weather hasn't been that great, but I hope that this doesn't lead to a Cruel Summer:
There also was alot of scratching going on in the 80s and 1 video that featured this was this:
The 80s also had a fair share of cheesy love songs, may of which were by Air Supply
Then again there was also this guy that came along and confused everyone, and then 20 years later confused people again with the internet phenomenon of Rickrolling:
And finally, I got one more for you, this video really vaulted these guys and well, they are back, but before we discuss that further, lets take a look back:
Ok, now, you may remember from my last post that I posted the trailer for the Beastie Boys short film Fight For Your Right Re-Visited starring Will Ferrell, John C Reilly, Jack Black, Seth Rogan, Elijah Wood and Danny McBridge. Well folks that premieres tonight, so be sure to check it out, I think it's gonna be on MTV2, VH1 and VH1 Classic at midnight, but the unedited version will air at 3am on Comedy Central, so if you are up then check it out, or else set your DVRs, it should be awesome. Just saw a extended preview which is doubling as the Make Some Noise video, pretty sure it's gonna set the all time record for cameos. It also features a DeLorean, which leads me to this.

Staying with all this 80s stuff and certainly with this video featuring a DeLorean. This Friday,which is Good Friday and Earth Day, btw, from the makers of Sawathon, I plan on bringing you Back To The Future Fest. I plan on watching all 3 Movies and doing a running diary of it, now I say plan, cause well, I don't have to work Friday, but that means Thursday Night, especially with the Bruins playing, and if anyone is down to watch the game and do some drinking, could make Friday a slow day, but regardless, I plan on doing this. So, for those of you that don't have to work, feel free to join in or follow along, for those of you that do have to work, well, if you can access my blog at work, follow along, if not, check it out later. But here's a little preview just incase you forget:
80s were pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment