Sunday, April 3, 2011

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Well, ladies and gentlemen today is Sunday, but not just any Sunday, it is Wrestlemania Sunday. Wrestlemania 27 happens tonight in Atlanta, and this is my exclusive preview, so if you looking for my usual random and all over the place stuff, that's not happening today, so be forewarned.

The lineup for the 27th Wrestlemania looks pretty good, I'm guessing there will be a bunch of surprises and clearly with the involvement of The Rock and Stone Cold and well as Shawn Michaels, bringing back a good amount of nostalgia for those who remember the wrestling heyday of the late 90s early 00s, would be cooler if maybe they would get in the ring and have a match, but maybe unlike the older generation, these guys might be a little smarter and realize when it's time, although The Rock could easily still go, he's not that old and certainly doesn't have the mileage on him that the other guys do. But I guess if Hollywood is gonna be dumb enough to keep giving him a ton of money to make some crappy movies, then I don't see why he would bother to wrestle again. The one thing that I am certainly not looking forward to though is Snooki wrestling, I have no idea how this won't be terrible, unless Kane were to come out and Tombstone her like he did to Pete Rose at Wrestlemania XIV:
Unfortunately, Kane is not involved in that match, so chances are that's not be happening. By the way, if you look really close in that video you can see me, well, I guess you can, I was there, and they panned over where I was sitting. This also never made any sense to me, it's Boston, you have Pete Rose come out and make fun on Boston, then you have Kane, the badguy come out and Tombstone him, there was no way we weren't cheering for the guy, but anyway, moving on.

Things will get started with Keri Hilson singing America The Beautiful, and I got to admit, I have no idea who that is, so whatever. I've always found it interesting that they have always chosen to do America The Beautiful and not the National Anthem, probably goes back to when they got Ray Charles to sing it before Wrestlemania 2 and then Aretha Franklin before Wrestlemania 3, figured just stick with that song instead. Personally, since they are in Atlanta, I think it would have made more sense for them to have gotten the group Tag Team of Whoomp! (There It Is) fame, which I've discussed plenty on this blog, more than anyone really should at this point, but anyway, makes sense, it's Atlanta, they are from there, they are called Tag Team, Tag Team wrestling, anyone with me? No? ok, then let's move on.

It will be interesting to see who is actually doing the announcing for this event, cause Michael Cole and Jerry "The King" Lawler will be fighting each other, so I guess that means Josh Mathews and Booker T will be, I've also heard that Jim Ross might be announcing as well, although from what I've heard that match will be early on in the card, so I guess whoever wins, or maybe even both of them could come back out later and still do some announcing.

The Rock is hosting things, not exactly sure what that will mean. Obviously he will get involved with The Miz vs John Cena, but other then that, I'm not really sure what he will be doing in terms of Hosting, but I'm sure he'll have something in store.

Now, lets get to the matches, as of right now there are 9 matches on the card. From what I have read things will be kicking off with the US Title match with Sheamus defending his title against the man he defeated to win it Daniel Bryan. Not really a ton of hype for this one, clearly they just wanted to get another title match in there and they threw the title on Sheamus a couple weeks ago trying to make him relevent again I guess, So I don't really see him just turning around and losing it, so I see Sheamus winning this one, maybe relatively easy actually.

Next up is Michael Cole with Jack Swagger vs Jerry "The King" Lawler with Stone Cold Steve Austin as the guest Referee. Now, the thing with Wrestlemania is they typically don't throw too many curveballs out there, especially when involving someone returning, like Stone Cold in this case. Pretty simple formula for this one I can see, Michael Cole and Lawler will sorta have a match, but then Swagger will get involved, Stone Cold will then beat him up and give him a stunner, Lawler will beat cole, then they will drink beers, Austin will give Swagger and Cole some more stunners, they will drink more beers, everyone will go nuts and that will be that. That's the formula with Austin, that's what he does, that's what he always does, people love it, so I don't see them messing with it. One more thing I want to add here, why did they decided to change Jerry Lawler's Music? he's been in the WWF/E for 18 years and has always had the same music, granted it was King Harley Race's music before it was his, but still, don't change it now, that's dumb.

Next match will be Rey Mysterio taking on Cody Rhodes, basically what happened here is that Rey smashed Rhodes face in, and now he has to wear a protective mask and wants revenge on Rey. This one really could go either way, on the one had I think they would like to push Rhodes, but at the same time it's Wreslemania, and all the kids really love Rey, so they could just give him the win, Either way I don't really see feud being over, so I think I'll go with Rey winning, but then Rhodes attacking him after the match, something along those lines.

Moving on we will have an 8 Man Tag Team Match with The Corre: Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater and Ezekiel Jackson taking on Kane, The Big Show, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov.....but wait, what's this:
Vladimir Kozlov was attcked at Fan Axcess by The Corre and is out of the match, sorry for the crappy footage, that's all that I could find. So what now, well Kofi Kingston who Wade Barrett beat for the Intercontinental Championship a couple weeks ago and is looking for revenge and didn't have a match will be taking his place. But, you know what? I don't think it's gonna matter, I see the Corre taking this one and possibly see Kane turning on The Big Show, why not, gonna throw it out there.

Well, next up is a match I couldn't care less about, it's gonna be stupid and the WWE is obviously just doing it to get the publicity, and I guess I can understand that, but really, it's just stupid. John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Snooki will take on Dolph Ziggler and Laycool with Vicki Guerrero in their corner. At least they took Vicki out of the actual match, but you know she'll get involved somehow, but whatever happens, it'll be stupid and I'm sure Snooki will pin someone and they will win, whatever, who cares, let's just move on.

Now, at some point, they will probably bring out all the guys that went into the Hall of Fame last night, which included Bullet Bob Armstrong, Abdullah The Butcher, Drew Carey (Don't ask), Sunny, Legion of Doom, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and The Heart Break Kid Shawn Michaels. Not sure if any of them will actually do anything or not, but I'm sure that this won't be the last that we see of Shawn Michaels.

Moving along, CM Punk without Nexus will take on Randy Orton. Much like the Rhodes-Mysterio match, I could see this one going either way and I don't think things will end with this match. Now all the other members of nexus got kicked in the head by Randy and are not allowed at ringside, but who is to say that we won't see some new members of a New Nexus coming out the help CM Punk, or maybe Orton will just win and then they will all be back tomorrow on Raw and get their revenge on him then. I think I'm gonna go with the 2nd scenario and I see Orton beating Punk with an RKO, but CM Punk escaping from the ring before getting punted in the head, maybe with the help of someone.

Next up should be Alberto Del Rio challenging Edge for the World Title, but I'm gonna skip that one and come back to it in a minute. So moving on to the next match.

The Streak, The Undertaker vs Triple H in a No DQ match, now in case you are not aware of this maybe cause you haven't been following wrestling for a while or not, The Undertaker has never lost at Wrestlemania, since he debuted at the 1990 Survivor Series as a mystery partner for Million Dollar Man's team, he has had 18 matches at wrestlemania and has never lost. It all started at Wrestlemania 7 when he beat Jimmy Superfly Snuka:
Yup, weird, that was 20 years ago, man has gotten a lot of Tattoos since then, but if you aren't familiar with the streak, here's the breakdown
1. 7 - Jimmy Snuka
2. 8 - Jake The Snake Roberts
3. 9 - Giant Gonzalez by DQ
4. 11 - King Kong Bundy
5. 12 - Diesel
6. 13 - Sid for the WWF Title
7. 14 - Kane (AKA Tombstone Fest '98)
8. 15 - Big Boss Man in Hell In a Cell
9. 17 - Triple H
10. 18 - Ric Flair
11. 19 - The Big Show and A-Train (Handicap Match)
12. 20 - Kane
13. 21 - Randy Orton
14. 22 - Mark Henry (Casket Match)
15. 23 - Batisita for World Heavyweight Title
16. 24 - Edge for World Heavyweight Title
17. 25 - Shawn Michaels
18. 26 - Shawn Michaels (Ending his career)

So, if you look at that list, you may notice that this match already happened 10 years ago at Wrestlemania 17 in Houston, so all that stuff about this being The Undertakers toughest test against the streak, I'm not buying it. Here you go:
So, yup already done, but whatever it should be a good match, and the extra element of it being No DQ, and incase you didn't see Raw last Monday, pretty certain that Shawn Michael will get involved in this one somehow or another, but who will he help:

I don't know, but ultimately, I see this match ending much like it did 10 years ago, but this time probably will a Tombstone or 2 and the streak will go to 19-0, but I've been wrong before about 19-0, so you never know, and I just made myself sad, so lets move on.

Ok, now getting back to the World Title match between Edge and Alberto Del Rio, after doing a little research, and by research, I mean just remembering, cause I'm pretty much an encyclopedia when it comes to this stuff, but in the 26 previous Wrestlemanias there have been 35 WWF/E Title/World Heavyweight Title matches, the only one that didn't have one was the first Wrestlemania. But in those 35 matches, Faces or Good Guys are 28-7, now that number is a bit misleading for a couple different reasons, first of all not all the matches even featured Heels or Bad Guys, Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 6 is an example:
But this number is also a bit misleading cause the first 2 times a heel won a title match at Wrestlemania was 9 & 10, Yokozuna beat Bret Hart at 9, but then fought and lost the title to Hulk Hogan right after that:

Then at Wrestlemania 10, because Bret Hart and Lex Luger both were eliminated at the same time in the Rumble, they had to have 2 matches, in the first Yokozuna won by DQ when Mr. Perfect DQ'd Lex Luger, but then Yokozuna would go on to lose to Bret Hart later in the night. So, with that said, only 5 heels have left Wrestlemania with a WWF/E or World Heavyweight title. Triple H, heel at the time, at 16 when he successfully defended his title and beat Mick Foley, Big Show and The Rock in Fatal 4 Way elimination match:

Then the next year at 17, and I'd really put an * on this one, cause going into the match both The Rock and Austin were faces, but in the match Austin got help from Vince and turned heel then beat The Rock for the title:
Then at 19 Triple H, heel at the time. successfully defending the World Heavyweight Title against Booker T:
It happened again at 24 when Randy Orton, a heel at the time, successfully defended the WWE Title in a triple threat match against John Cena and Triple H:
and finally just last year at 26 Chris Jericho successfully defended his title against Edge:
So, what does this all mean for Edge vs Alberto Del Rio, and also for The Miz vs John Cena, well for Alberto Del Rio, unless you count the Austin win, no Heel has ever gone into Wrestlemania and won a title, except Yokozuna at 9, but he didn't leave with the title, so he's pretty much trying to do something that has never been done before. But perhaps it's his destiny as he has been saying, and I can only imagine what kind of Car he will come out it, it's gonna be crazy. You also have to factor in Christian in this match, will he get involved, I say yes, what about Brodus Clay and Ricardo Rodriguez, I would say they also get involved. But, here's something else that you have to factor in, Alberto Del Rio won the Royal Rumble, well, how many guys that won the Royal Rumble went on to win the title at Wrestlemania since they made the rule, well 11 out of the previous 19 have gone on and won, the first was Yokozuna and we already went over what happened there, so that's kind of a toss up. Well, I got to make a choice and I think I got to go with Alberto Del Rio on this one, just like he said at the Royal Rumble, it's his destiny and well, I think it is, and I could see somehow Christian costing Edge the title somehow and reunite that feud.

Now on to the Main Event, The Miz defending his title against John Cena. The Rock will obviously be looking on and there is no doubt that he will get involved at some point. I would also expect that at some point during the show this match turns in a NO DQ match. Clearly The Rock has issues with both these guys as was evident by what happened on Raw last Monday:
Alright, so here's the thing, If Alberto Del Rio beats Edge for the World Heavyweight Title, I can't see The Miz winning this match, no pun intended. But how exactly will this play out with The Rock, if The Rock is willing to come back and have a match, the money is with a Rock vs Cena match, no offense to The Miz, he's obviously made his mark the last few months, but even if it were to happen, seems like it would be something that would happen at Wrestlemania, so I don't see them setting it up for a year from now. Anyway, I think Cena wins the match and the title in the End, the Rock will get involved somehow, maybe a Rock Bottom to The Miz, and maybe one for Cena after he wins, just to send a message, I'm not sure, but I got Cena winning this one.

And there you have it, should be a great show, if you are watching it live, enjoy, I probably won't get a chance to watch it live, but I will be watching first chance I get tomorrow, so I will be in total blockout mode. With that said, if you do watch it or hear about what happens or whatever, don't ruin it for me, or I will come find you and chokeslam you through a table.

No comments:

Post a Comment