Monday, April 11, 2011

Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to another blog entry, got some more stuff for you today that will blog your mind, or not, actually probably not, actually I don't even know what that means, so whatever. First want to start off by saying that I took what might end up being my last trip to Fairway Bowling on Rt 9 in Natick, hadn't been there in years, and really didn't matter cause it is exactly the same as it's always been, same score sheets, same balls probably, same everything, right down to the thing getting stuck and having to have the guy go fix it, good times. Did OK, seeing has how I can't remember the last time I went bowling, but certainly not great, done better. Got a 88 first round and then 84 2nd round. I did get the highest scores though, so I'm pretty much the best bowler ever, or at least among my family, that particular night. Too bad it's closing, I guess it's gonna be turned into a rug store or something stupid like that, I mean, like I said I haven't been there in forever, but I liked the fact that it was there and if you ever wanted to go bowling, you knew you could go there. Needham Bowlaway apparently closed a couple weeks ago, totally missed that one, although it was never the same once it went all disco bowling or whatever it was, the bowling place that used to be in West Roxbury has been gone for years, I think there is still a bowling place in Norwood, but candlepin bowling seems to be disappearing, i guess they can't compete with places like Kings and the like, but personally, I've always like Candlepin over 10 pin, but it also seems that all the bowling places have to have the crazy lights and stuff, which I find annoying anyway.

Took my first trip to Fenway last night and got to see a great game, Beckett looked awesome, the offense really should have been better, Sox really should have scored like 7 or 8 runs, but didn't matter, they got enough and won the game. Couple notes, the new video boards are pretty impressive, a bit distracting at first cause I wasn't really used to them. The thing that I don't totally get though, is now there is a lot more room to put stats and stuff, but it seems like they have less stats on the board now then they used to, I don't get it. I mean, why is it that I had no idea how many strikeouts Beckett had as the game was going along, why isn't there a strikeout count somewhere, and no I don't mean the guys who put up the K signs, who I didn't notice being there last night. The other thing that was odd and threw me off, the Clock is gone, not sure if there was a clock somewhere else, but I kept looking up to see what time it was and there was no clock, that's gonna take some time to get used to. They did a bunch of other work around the park too, they redid all the concrete and stuff in the concourse that are near our seats, which are rightfield grandstand, they also kinda repaved the area under the seats too. I looks like they replaced the loge seats, but they did not replace the grandstand seats, it does look like they painted them however, and they added springs to them, so now they don't stay down, not sure how I feel about that, on the one hand, when you are walking in and out you don't have to deal with it, but we always have an extra seat that is usually empty next to us, and when you can just have it down, you can put things, but now with the springs, it pops back up, can't really do that, oh well. Pretty sure all the other seats in the place had springs and popped up, probably makes it a lot easier for them to clean, so good for them. I also finally noticed that Marco Scutaro changed his number from 16 to 10, so good for him.

Want to welcome Ireland, finally, about time, and Bulgaria to the blog, thanks for joining. Can't say that I know much about Bulgaria, Ireland on the other hand, many of my ancestors came from Ireland, I'm 5/8 Irish, so that's a good amount. I've never been to Ireland, but I've worked with people from Ireland, still do kinda, not as much as I used to, but whatever, Ireland, welcome.

Got to go to Jury Duty tomorrow, kinda lame, from what I remember from the last time I had to go, just sat around in a room for like 3 or 4 hours and that was it, I think we may have watched a video or something.. Certainly wasn't anything like the Movie, which is probably a good thing.

Well, it's gonna be Bruins vs Canadiens once again in the first round, history isn't exactly on the Bruins side with this one, but I feel good about it, I say Bruins in 5.

Celtics looked like crap yesterday, still can get the 2 seed, but didn't look like they really wanted it yesterday, still up in the air who we'll play, NY or Philly, so nothing known yet, but soon we shall know.

Moving on to 1988 in the MTV countdown to 30, things seemed to kinda drop off this year, I mean, there was a lot and a lot of which I remember, but not of the stuff stands out. Michael Jackson was still working off Bad and trying to create the new Thriller, which included his movie Moonwalker, which was kinda like a few music videos combined, but I don't think it really did all that great, it did have Joe Pesci in it, but eh. However it did inspire a video game, which also wasn't very good, so let's just skip it.

1988 did mark the breakout of this guy:
I don't think he was heard from again after this, but he did get Robin Williams to be in his video, so I guess that's something.

This was also a big hit in 1988:
and strip clubs would never be the same. Although, I will point out for the benefit of our UK friends, that's the US version, there was actually a totally different version across the pond that looked like this:
and yes, if you are wondering, the drummer from Dep Leppard does only have one arm.

Another one hit wonder to come out of 1988, were these guys:
This is a great song, the video, I don't quite think works as well, I mean, I ok with them showing like historic stuff and all that, but who had the idea for the lead singer to be wearing a bright yellow singlet? I mean, what? why?

So, in 1988 alot of people where wonder how many does it take, and these guys were ready to give everyone the answer.
Apparently the answer is 2, thanks guys.

1988 was apparently a big year for the word Wild. First of all the Tone Loc, which you might now as the black cop from Ace Ventura, he had his one hit Wild Thing:
Yeah, he stole Robert Palmer's gimmick a little in this one. But that wasn't all cause there also was a group Escape Club who had their one hit in 1988 called Wild Wild West:

Now, that song should not be confused with the Will Smith song Wild Wild West, but it's interesting that you would bring that up, cause Will Smith, know as The Fresh Prince at that time along with DJ Jazzy Jeff, had their first big hit in 1988, which apparent Parents didn't understand, but I kinda feel like now parents do understand it, so I'm not sure it's relevant anymore, cause the kids who's parent didn't understand are now the parents in some cases, and  now my brain hurts, anyway here is the video:
But, probably the biggest hit of 1988 was of course this:
Oops, I'm sorry, that's the wrong version, here's the right version:
Once again, they still hadn't gotten into the whole theatrics of music videos as they would latter, very standard video at the time, but a great song.

So, there you have it 1988, would also like to mention that in 1988, Bruins were swept in the Stanley Cup finals, and the Edmonton Oilers were pretty nasty, Bruins never really had a shot this year. The most memorable thing about this series, other then it being the last games Wayne Gretzky would play with the Oilers, was this:
The lights went out in the building during the 2nd period with the game tied 3-3, the game was never made up because of scheduling issues, so they Bruins ended up only actually getting 1 home game in the series, I feel like this would a bigger deal if this happened today.

The Patriots began their descent into mediocrity, the Celtics were overtaken by the Pistons, and the Red Sox, despite Morgan Magic and winning 21 or 22 games and winning the AL East overtaken the Tigers late in the season, lost to the steroid monsters of the Oakland A's in spectacular fashion.

The one other memorable thing that I do remember from 1988 and I do remember being quite traumatized and confused by it, and this will be your treat. First a little backstory. Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase after unsuccessfully trying to buy the World Title from Hulk Hogan, hired the services of Andre The Giant from Bobby The Brain Heenan to win the title for him, the match was then set for the live debut of The Main Event, which was a Live Friday version of Saturday Night's Main Event. There was even a typical Contract signing at the first Royal Rumble event.
So, the match was set, and then on Friday, February 5th, 1988, live on NBC, this happened:
AN EVIL TWIN REFEREE?!?!?!? My 6 year old brain couldn't handle this, Hulk Hogan, the Hero had lost the title after having it for over 4 years. So, turns out Million Dollar Man had paid off Dave Hebner's twin brother Earl, to screw over Hogan, and not this would not be the last time Earl Hebner would screw someone over for the title, ask Bret Hart. Anyway, Jack Tunney ruled that Andre The Giant could not legally surrender the title to Ted DiBiase, so the title was declared vacant and a tournament was held at Wrestlemania V and Macho Man Randy Savage would defeat Million Dollar Man in the finals with the help of Hulk Hogan. Also want to point out that this was the night that they first used that particular title belt, which they would use for a little over 10 years until after Stone Cold Steve Austin won the title at Wrestlemania XIV, he was given a new belt the next night.

No comments:

Post a Comment