Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Spring Transformation

Well folks today is the first day of Spring, which means many things, but in particular over the last few years for me has meant some spring cleaning. What does that mean exactly, well I'm not talking about cleaning my room or anything like that, but cleaning up my look. I get lazy during the winter, plus it's cold, so I often let my hair and beard grow out, and sometimes just forget about it, but it was finally time with the arrival of spring to change it up. At first I considered recording the shaving of the beard and posting it on the blog ala Zach Galifianakis did when he hosted SNL last year:
Ultimately I decided against that, but I did take a couple pictures to chronicle what went down, and I apologize for the quality of these pictures, the lighting kinda sucks in my room and the camera on my computer ain't great. So here's what I looked like:




You remember that guy, Christian Bale like beard, growing to epic proportions and the long flowing locks. Well, the first thing to go was the beard, it had been 3 months since I shaved it all off, did a little trimming here and there, and while I could have just trimmed it down to a manageable and reasonable non Christian Bale like beard, that's not what I do and not what went down. As you can see:



That took like 5 hours, or something like that, there was a lot of hair, it was like someone skinned a cat in the bathroom. So now what, the beard was gone, now it was time to deal with the hair, I guess I could have left it long, or I could have just trimmed it up a bit, but let's be honest, I don't do that kinda thing and after 7 and 1/2 months since getting my hair cut, I wanted to get my money's worth, so...
Gone, while it was pretty simple haircut and If I had trimmers could have probably done myself, I don't really trust myself with that sort of thing, so went to the barber, there was once again a lot of hair, skinned a small dog on this one, but since it was at a barber shop, I guess it kinda goes with the territory. I guess looking back If I had done it the other way, I could have done something along the lines of what Zach Galifianakis did this year on SNL and shaved my head like Mr T for a night, but I don't think it would have worked. Anyway, there you have it, what I like to call Spring Greg, but don't get too used to it cause the NHL playoffs start in a few weeks, which means playoff beard, and playoff Greg, although, the way the Bruins have been playing lately we may not have to worry about that. Speaking of the Bruins, if anyone is looking to go to a Bruins game, I got 3 games coming up I need people to go with, so let me know. But getting back on track...

I guess you can probably just call me Billy Joel cause I don't know why I go to extremes:
That video just screams late 80's btw, what the hell was everyone thinking back then?

Ok, so funny story about this whole thing, a couple years ago when I first decided to do this, it was really for no reason, and I had not shaved my head in the modern era, meaning after college, which was when we got our dog Max. So, I went to barber one day, decided to get my head shaved, went home and let the dog out, he just ran out the door as soon opened the door, but then when I went to let him in, he wouldn't come. I had to go grab him, and he kept running away from me and wouldn't come near me, eventually I got him and put him back in the house, but then it occurred to me, he didn't recognize me, he didn't realize it was me and thought this stranger had come out of the house and was trying to grab him. It was pretty crazy.

The one thing about shaving my head that does come about, while I do have a decent shaped head, so it doesn't look too awkward, when I was 4 or 5, I did have a little bit on an incident, and cut my head open, so I do have a nice long scar on the side of my head as you can sorta see here:
But, as Shane Falco once said "Pain heals, Chicks dig scars"
Haven't found this to be true however, but it is an appropriate clip given that we could be seeing some replacement players with this whole NFL labor issue. I also don't think that this in true either:
I have scars, and hit like 20 career HRs, hasn't helped me with the ladies. I have found that chicks dig Money, Fame, Power, Movie Star good looks and Big Muscles, none of which I have, so I guess I'm screwed. Women, am I right? bunch of gold diggers. Thank you for reading, Greg's sextist comment in honor of Women's History Month. Let's be honest, how many Women are really reading this blog anyway? But hey, if they are, and single, and are enjoying this, my name is Greg, I like long walks on the beach and pretzel M&M's, let's talk some time

This brings up something though, "Movie Star Good Looks" what does that mean? cause there are some pretty ugly people that are movie stars, and I'm sure they are doing pretty well with the ladies, so, yeah, that whole fame thing, I think is the catalyst.

Getting back to scars for a minute, I do also in addition to the scar of the top of my head, have another visible scar, now it's kinda covered by my eyebrow, so it's not as easy to notice, but it's there, got that when I was like 7 or 8 I guess, got lucky I guess, could have poked my eye out, which I didn't and the scar ended up in a not a terrible place. Anyway, with all this talk about scars, brings up the question which song about scars is better:
or
I don't know, tell me what you think.

So, a few more countries have joined the ranks as the blog closes in on 600 views, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Israel. What can I say, apparently I'm a big deal in the Middle East. No views from Libya yet, probably a good thing, but whatever it's all good, Pauly Shore is gonna head on over there and kick some ass again like he did in In The Army Now, and that whole thing will get figure out.

NCAA tournament, some good games we have been having, unfortunately I haven;t really picked a ton of them and my bracket sucks, so whatever.

Continuing on with the MTV countdown thingy, last time went with 1982's Hall and Oates Maneater, which was a solid video. 1983 however was the year that MTV, and music videos in general really started to take off thanks in most part to Michael Jackson. It's funny cause MTV had a bit of an issue with airing music by Black Artists, it was few and far between, which was odd, not like this was a 40s or 50s or something, it was 80's. But all that changed when Michael Jackson released the album Thriller and specifically the video for Billie Jean, and while that video was good and the video for Beat It was also a solid video, it was the Thriller video that changed everything about what a music video was or could be, it was a mini movie, directed by John Landis, a big hollywood director coming off big hits Animal House, Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London and Trading Places, it was needless to say a big deal at the time, so here you go:
Interesting to note, my Uncle actually dated someone in this video, I think she was in the movie theater scene and also maybe one of the Zombie dancers, I'm not totally sure, but there you go. The scene when he turns into a werewolf also used to scare the hell out of me, but I was 2 when this came out, so I had a reason.

Ok, folks, lots of stuff today, hope you enjoyed it all. But as always, I'll leave you with a little treat,
Don't be sad, that's why they call it Shpoople.

No comments:

Post a Comment