Monday, March 7, 2011

...and that's the bottom line, cause the blog said so.

Alright, I know what you are saying, "What the hell Greg, it's been over a week, and no blog post. What's the deal?" Well, I was on vacation, so I took a little vacation from the blog, and well, if you got a problem with that, you can go to hell. I'm sorry, that was a little harsh, just dealing with some crap. I mean you go on vacation to take a break, get away from it all, regroup, recharge, and then when you come back, you should be all ready to go, but instead you get hit with a shitstorm. I'm the only one technically on my team who will be at work tomorrow, should be fun, at least I'm gonna get some help from an old member of the team coming back, so I guess that's something, should be a blast, not the last person in the world I would want to have to work with.

Ok, so here are some observations that I made while on vacation. First of all, I'm trying to figure out what the appropriated age for a song is to be considered classic. I was listening to a classic rock station and they played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, at first I was like what the hell, this isn't classic rock, but then I started thinking about it, the song is almost 20 years old, is that enough time? One of the next songs they played was "Wind of Change" by The Scorpions, and that I had no problem with being on that station, but that song came out the same year as Teen Spirit, I guess just cause it was the Scorpions and they were around a lot longer then just then, but still, same age. I started to break it down, and while 20 years is a long time, most songs that came out in 1991, don't seem like classic rock to me, so what about 25 years, 1986, I don't think that there are any songs that came out in 1986, that if played on a classic rock station, I would be like, this isn't old enough to be classic rock. Now granted, you could probably say that about 87, 88, 89 probably, but I feel like establishing a definite time makes sense, so 25 years, lets go with that. I did also hear "When I Come Around" by Green Day on that station, which came out 1994, yeah, that's not even close to being classic rock in my mind.

Speaking of Music, favorite song right now is "Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)" and while it's not exactly new, it was on the Expendables soundtrack which came out last August, I have been hearing it a lot lately, definitely a solid song, but there was also this:

Also wanted to point something out, something weird, so try and stay with me. After I heard "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions, I was trying to think of what other hits that they had other then that, "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and "No One Like You" and while in the US they didn't really have any others, they were bigger in Europe, being German and all. However, while scrolling through their discography, found an odd pattern of their Album art being banned, and now while most of them are kinda whatever, i guess I can see why it was banned, but whatever, there is one, and you're gonna have to look it up yourself, and extremely NSFW, not even sure what they were thinking, like there was no chance that wasn't getting banned, and it probably could have gotten them arrested in some circles, but whatever, weird stuff.

Went 3 for 6 on my Oscar predictions, should have stuck with the buzz and went with Natalie Portman, and while my theory about the correlation between Best Director and Best Picture was accurate, picked the wrong director and therefore the wrong Movie, oh well, don't really plan on seeing The King's Speech, so whatever. Looked up to see how many times an movie won best picture and the director didn't win for the same movie, it has happened 21 times out of 83, so a little over 25% of the time, but, 7 of those 21 times were in the first 10 years, so yeah, it doesn't happen often, last time was in 5 years ago when Ang Lee won for Brokeback Mountain, but Crash won Best Picture.

Speaking of movies, watched a few movies over my vacation, Unstoppable, which was pretty much what I thought it would be based on the commercials, a tamer version of Training Day, but on a train, it was alright, kept me somewhat entertained for 90 minutes, despite the fact that I pretty much knew what was gonna happen and more or less how it was gonna happen the whole time. Next up I watched Due Date, which was pretty good, but in terms of Todd Phillips films, it wasn't as good as the Hangover of Old School, but pretty much on par with Road Trip, which makes sense, cause it was also a road trip. It was tough to watch this and trying to not see Zach Galifianakis' character as the same character as the Hangover, but whatever, again kept me entertained for 90 minutes, so not bad. Then I watched Hereafter, the Clint Eastwood movie starring Matt Damon, it was not exactly what I thought it would be, thought the whole thing was gonna be about Matt Damon talking to dead people and stuff, which was actually only part of it, there were like 3 different stories that all kinda come together at the end, it was alright, was pretty predictable and a little on the long side, so eh, whatever. The I went to the Movies and saw The Adjustment Bureau, which again starred Matt Damon and wasn't exactly what I thought it was gonna be. Thought it was gonna be move Inception/Matrix kinda thing with some action thrown in and stuff, but in reality it was kinda a love story mixed with a little bit of action and a little bit of mind bending, not the ratio I was expecting, but it was pretty entertaining, so if you got nothing else to see, go for it. I do want to bring up something that did kinda annoy me about Hereafter and The Adjustment Bureau, in both movies, Matt Damon plays a guy who apparently has trouble meeting the ladies, come on, really, we're supposed to believe that, give me a break, speaking as someone that does have trouble meeting the ladies, I'm offended, course in the end of both movies he gets the girl, big shocker.

So, while the Taco Bell 4 times the meat commercial is gone, looks like it's been replaced with an even more annoying commercial, the Arby's Good Mood Food commercial, I can't really see this one ever becoming funny, but it's airing every 2 seconds it seems like the Taco Bell, and it's got some guy singing some annoying song, haven't seen it, here it is:

Of course, tomorrow is also Mardi Gras, which means Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, which is the start of lent and the annoying commercial contest should get a new leader if the last few years have taught us anything, don't know what I'm talking about, really? REALLY? ok, well, you asked for it
That was 2 years ago
That was last year, can wait to see what they have in store for this year, oh wait, I can.

So, tonight The Rattlesnake, Stone Cold Steve Austin returns to Raw, not sure for what, but I'm sure he'll come out, say Hell Yeah a few times, drink some beers, someone will come out and confront him, probably Sheamus or Ted DiBiase or someone like that, he'll end up stunning them and drink some more beers. Should be good. Certainly will be better than whatever Snooki does next week on Raw, yup, she's hosting Raw next week, that should be "great", whatever.

So, are there more songs about Rain or Wind. Let's see, there's No Rain, November Rain, Raindrops keep falling on my head, Singing in the Rain, Chocolate Rain, Love Reigh Ov'r Me by Pearl Jam or The Who does not count, cause that's a different kind of reign, but in the case of Slayer even though the album is Reign In Blood, the song is Raining Blood, so that counts. As for Wind, Wind of Change, as mentioned before, Dust in the Wind, Wind Beneath My Wings, The Wing Cries Mary, Summer Wind, not sure if Summer Breeze should count or not, a Breeze is a kind of Wind though. Hurricane by Bob Dylan does not count for either, cause even though there is both Wind and Rain in a Hurricane, that was about a guy with the nickname Hurricane and not a real Hurricane. Well, it's a toss up, I don't know.

Charlie Sheen is crazy, great, good for him.

Last but not least, while skiing, it was snowing and then the sun came out, which got me to wonder, well when it rains and the sun comes out, sometimes you get a rainbow, so is there such a thing as a snowbow? I've never heard of it, so I'm guessing not, and honestly a snowbow sounds more like something from Zelda or something, like how do you kill the Fire Demon in the 5th dungeon, oh well you need to get the snowbow and the icicle arrows and shoot him in his fiery heart. Or maybe melt his icy heart with a cool island song. Anyway, he's your treat, since I mentioned Rainbow:
 DIO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment